Friday, February 12, 2010

CG#4: page 2 complete!

I meant to post this yesterday, but did not have the chance. Page 2 of "grOwing Desires" is now complete. This page is one of the first few pages that are quite detailed in the number of panels and characters, thus, taking longer to ink and paint. Pages 3, 4, and 5 are similar and will take longer to complete. Also, this week surprisingly turned out to be a very busy "real life" work week, on top of time spent cleaning up from the East Coast snow storm that hit, both of which slowed down progress a bit.

This preview shows another main character, Claudine. The first preview (page 1) shows the main characters Lynn, in the foreground, and MaryBeth, blurred in the background. Enjoy the preview — I'm off to start inking page 3 !

5 comments:

uruseiranma said...

Very interesting. Marybeth for some reason reminds me of Amanda Seyfried (must be because I watched 'Jennifer's Body' last week).

Though I still say you are the PIXAR of B.E. stories, in that we never really know just what is coming our way.

Though your comics have stuck in my head. I was watching a scene in 'I love you, Beth Cooper,' where the girls go to the high school and into the showers...and all I could think of was your shower image and H2Grow, with those effects happening to Hayden Panettiere, Lauren London and Lauren Storm.

BustArtist said...

You sure had me Googling, uruseiranma! :) I have seen neither movie, so I guess you can tell that neither of them had any influence on my work (though now I that I looked them up, I can see why you say that!). :D

And thanks for the "Pixar" comment. I like and appreciate that. (Esp. since I reallly like Pixar.)

uruseiranma said...

BA- there really wasn't that much to write home about regarding 'Jennifer's Body' or 'I Love You, Beth Cooper.' ILYBC felt like Chris Columbus' mid-life crisis: an attempt to recapture the teenage night gone awry like he did in 'Adventures in Babysitting.' But ILYBC, there's just so many jokes that just fall flat. Not even having Hayden Panettiere in it helped.

I also egotistically compare myself to PIXAR, in that I want to do stories or expansion concepts that aren't typical of what is already out there. I have one expansion idea that I plotted out the visuals for...but I need a solid story to make the visuals count. I can't just do a full-on eye-candy story.

BustArtist said...

I know what you mean. As the BE community progressed, more and more contributors came into the arena (a good thing). But then, more and more content was becoming similar. To try to break new ground, I came up with my FanTITy morphs over at the BEA (photo morphs PLUS a story). Then, I made multi-panel morphs, and then created the first full-blown BE comic: Milk Farm.

As the first of its kind, Milk Farm was a lot of eye-candy, but I had to make sure there was an underlying story and motivation.

Like real candy, eye-candy will not sustain you -- though it can be a fun and enjoyable experience from time to time. He says while munching on jellybeans.

Anonymous said...

Was an interesting article, thank you..