Wednesday, August 22, 2012 redesigned!

I finally finished the redesign of my website,  I am very pleased with how it came out. I went through a few variations, but decided on the one that really lets the art sing out while the website structure takes a step back. Most of the interface is dark, with black backgrounds, and subtle gray outlines. In contrast, the color art pops off the screen like portfolio pieces on black matte board. 

The website took some time, as it is all hand coded by me (with a few exceptions: the fading banner on the home page, and the Contact form). I also had to create all the graphics, CSS files, and supporting files.  I am sure I will be making a few tweaks and adjustments here and there. Slowly, I will also be adding the small preview that appear here (you can see them now by the grOw/cOmic#5, issue 2 section — click the collapsible panel for "More Info" to open).

Don't worry, I've also been working on the next issue of grOw/cOmic#5. A few pages of pencil drawings have been completed, and I will continue working on this stage starting again today. With the website out of the way, and a few important "real life" commitments met, as well as the completion of a small flurry of "real life work" projects, I can now put my full effort into the next issue.

Monday, August 13, 2012

grOw/cOmic#5, work on issue 3 has begun!

I usually leave the announcement of a new issue up for about 2 weeks before posting any details of the next project. However, due to numerous reasons, I am a little later than usual this time —  a combination of "real life" work, "real life" in general, other behind-the-curtain website stuff. Do not fret, however, as work on the next issue, titled "Intermission", has begun!

While the pencil drawing has not yet started, I will be beginning this stage very soon. Work has been progressing on issue 3 since only a few days after the release of issue 2.  I have been giving tweaks to the script, as well as to the thumbnail sketches of each page. I have also taken the entire issue and layed out the panels and text in actual size. This allows me to know exactly how much room the narration and dialogue take up so that I can draw each picture properly.

In addition, I have been rendering numerous backgrounds and setting up Poser stills to use as reference so that I get the proper size/height ratio of our heroine to the other characters in the story. I also use the Poser models to test various "camera angles" for dramatic effect. The preview in this post shows a wireframe rendering of rough Poser models imported into the 3D modeling program that I use for the backgrounds.

OH!  And if you haven't checked out my DeviantArt Gallery, go there now for a 2560 x 1440 px image for a desktop wallpaper from issue 2.  (*Note: at least for me, DeviantArt has been quite flaky recently in drawing its webpages onscreen... I think they may be having server trouble.)