Friday, May 27, 2016

grOw/cOmic#6, issue 7 -- pencils over half done.

There was lots of Poser-preparation that went on this week for the pencil drawing of the issue. Camera angles and proportions were very important especially with the placement of characters with background properly. After that, it was on to the pencil drawings, which I was able to finish 9 more pages. 12 of 21 pencil drawings are now done, as well as the scanning in and cleaning up these templates. Some pages needed some of my "large head, shrink later" methods.  9 more pages to draw, and I will be onto the ink and paint stage!

Friday, May 20, 2016

Drawing on issue 7 of grOw/cOmic#6 underway!

It’s been just over a month since my last update. In that time, much has gone on for me, some of it delaying the start of issue 7 of grOw/cOmic#6.  However, start on the next issue I did.

The delays came from various sources, some good, some annoying.  The first week after the last release was filled with preparations for SizeCon on April 23rd.  It was a fun time and warrants its own post at a later time. I have written half of this post, but still have more to do. 

The second week was filled with a work on a “real life” work, having to work on an illustrated cover for a local magazine. It was fun to work on.

While fighting a cold and cough this second week and into the third, the next week had me working on the script to issue 7.  I had only an outline with important points written up to this issue, which was added after the series had already begun. In addition, once the script was ready, I started sketching out each page in thumbnail form, planning the layout of the frame. This stage went on longer than expected, as I realized that in a few scenes, what I had written was very difficult to draw. It’s easy to write exciting, BE-related sexual scenes, but when it comes to figure out exactly where each limb, body part, head, and any props have to go, you realize that the scene is simply not possible.  I’ve had a few instances of this when working on grOw/stOries, and having to rewrite the scene a bit to work.

The fourth week (this past week) was working on backgrounds, camera angles, and setting up Poser models to help melding 3D-rendered backgrounds to hand-drawn characters so that proportions and camera angles of the two match.  I only did this for the first 5 pages, and then proceeded to pencil draw them. I succeeded in finishing the first 3 pages of the issue in pencil form (you can see a small preview in this post).

It seems like a long time to those who wait for updates on this blog. But rest assured, behind the scenes, much work is still ongoing. Hang in there! The drawing is underway, and I will post another update next week on its progress. After that, it will be page-by-page updates on the ink and paint stage up to the next release date!

Oh… one more thing.  In working out the script for the new issue, I wanted to make sure I hit many key points that needed to happen before the final issue. I achieved that, but had to lengthen the issue to do so.  Right now, Issue 7 (“Dramatic Structures”) is set to be 21 pages long, 3 more than usual!  It’s going to be a BIG issue, with lots of BE-related action!