Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Last page of grOw/cOmic#6, issue 4 completed!

A day later than I had hoped, I was finally able to complete the final page (p.74) of issue 4 ("Conflict") of grOw/cOmic#6 ("Milking the Plot")! I ran afoul of some software issues on this past Friday which made me lose at least 5 hours of work time. Wonky results from both Adobe Illustrator and the Wacom Cintiq driver, reinstalling and resetting preferences, and some emails to tech support really ate up valuable time on Friday. 

Once I was able to launch into some real work, the last page of the issue needed some retooling to start with. The original page was... "OK". While the final, half-page panel was (and still is) intense, I felt the other half-page panel above it had much less impact now than when I first drew it. Also, the text (dialogue and narration) was too sparse and a bit too vague. So I sketched, used Poser and my 3D program, and came up with a new and much better frame (actually breaking it into 2), and enhanced and added much more to the text. Add to all of that the complexity of the page — with plenty of liquidy effects as well as a complex overlapping of characters that well fit the title of the issue — which always takes extra time.

So, with 19 pages of this issue now done, what's next?  I need to draw and ink & paint the cover to issue 5. I also need to quickly review the script to make sure the idea I have for issue 5 is correct. (Those following my posts know I am mulling over adding an extra issue or two of storyline once this latest issue is released.)  THEN, after proofreading, correcting, and making final page images, it's time to make the 4 optimized PDFs (standard, premium, art-only, and commentary versions).  THEN, it's on to some HTML and CSS programming of my website, and THEN, setting up the "content-management" of the web store so that the issue can be pruchased.  WHEW!

P.S. -- My wife starting proofreading the issue last night even though I was still working on the final page. She likes to read it multiple times, with the first time a simple, casual read such as anyone would (and not like an editor or proofreader). She read through it, but it was late and we were tired so I didn't get any feedback right away. This morning, she texted me from work and said (edited for brevity), "I meant to tell you last night how much I enjoyed the latest issue...  I was tired last night, (but it) gave me some amazing dreams... You were in them... I had you pinned."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the comments made by your wife... you lucky dog :) Having a woman who wants to play along in the fantasy is such a blessing!

Looking forward to purchasing this issue on day one. Thanks for your hard work.

other290 said...

Can't wait, as always thanks to JulieKat. Sounds like another great issue - gonna keep hitting refresh for the next few days!

Sandman said...

Sorry to hear about all the computer problems. I know stuff like that is bound to happen sometime. Glad to hear that things are back on track again. And yet, still so much more work to do.

I think I speak for all of your fans when I say, we really appreciate all the hard work and dedication you and your better half put in to producing these amazing works of art. Thanks BA and JK.

Anyway, I'm on the edge of my seat to grab a copy of this issue and see what happens next. lol I hope it won't be long now?

Revanant said...

I've bought and read everything that you have produced and agree that your art style just gets better with time. The wait on this release, from what I am reading, is going to be worth every second. I cannot wait until I can see what it is all about. Keep up the fantastic work!

Also, do you have a suggestion box? I may have an idea for you to think about for another story if you are looking for suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Adding one or two issue is a really exciting idea!! :P

BustArtist said...

Anon1: Yes, I count myself lucky. She doesn't just "play along", but is also a BE aficionado herself. ("Met" her online in the old "BE_Loft" chat room years ago).

other290: Save your keyboard some wear and tear. Wait for tomorrow (Friday 10/2)! :-)

Sandman: Yeah, software issues suck. I am glad I have experience in tackling them. :-) And glad you like my stuff! (Hard work/artwork.) Nope, it won't be long now!

Revanant: Thanks! Practice makes perfect. I try to enhance at least 1 technique with each issue. As for suggestions, I don't mind knowing what the general "genres" people like (huge BE, WOW BE, GTS, one type of expansion or multitude, etc) but I usually go with my own storylines. I like to dwell on them (for example, I came up with this storyline about 2 years ago). It helps me work out the kinks, and build up character development. It's more about setting and character interaction than method. :-)

Anon2: Yep! The story as originally planned wrapped up rather quickly once the ball started rolling. I realized I could really "expand" each character's interaction with the formula and create a more gradual build up to the climax I had envisioned.