Friday, October 15, 2010

grOw/cOmic#4, issue 4 moving along, albiet slowly

Over the last 2 weeks, progress has been made on issue 4 of grOw/cOmic #4, but not as much as I had hoped by this point. Still, a decent amount of work has been done, much of it "behind the scenes." This has been somewhat delayed due to the recent flood of "real life" work that suddenly dropped in my lap, and may still be coming down the pike. Today, however, was a free day, and I used it to work on the latest issue of grOw.

I have completed the thumbnails of the issue for all 18 pages. This includes the reworking of the first 8 pages which were already done months ago.

I also took a few hours to format the text. Back when I created grOw/cOmics #1 and #2, I would look at the amount of text in the word balloons and narration boxes, and make a good guess on room I would need to fit them. It usually worked. However, occasionally the results would be disastrous, and I would not have enough space to fit the artwork properly. This required me to rework the drawing, or cut text. Now, I lay out the text of the entire issue, within the framework that is based on my thumbnail sketches. This way, I know exactly the space required, and it allows me to better design each panel so that the image and text work well together.

I have also been doing some research on "reference material" on women's muscular bodies. :)

Lastly, I have completed 4 and a half pages of the issue in pencil form. This is going a little slower than usual, due to the extra rendering required for FMG.

All in all, things are progressing fairly well. I hope to start showing color previews again soon.

(** comments locked due to excessive spamming)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the very least, it sounds like FMG is exercising your artistic muscles more then usual, which is nice considering how you can see the development of the art over each series.

Anonymous said...

Get it done, brother!

The Panther is ready to buy it and scream it's genius from mountain top to GTS forum.

-Panther

PS: Seriously, it's this and Tron: Legacy. After these two things two things come out, I can hibernate for the rest of the year...

PSS: MAKE IT!!! SO, I can ... BUY IT!!!

Anonymous said...

Do you think GrOw 4 will be finished by December BA? I remember the Christmas BE painting you did and is on your DevArt gallery and thought "Hmmm, a BA 2011 Calendar would be interesting."

GeoffK said...

FMG is probably pretty hard to draw. If you can find any of Wreakshop's work, he is a master at it. Some of the other LH Arrt artists are pretty talented too. Also Dave Matthews at DCM Studios Online has some great stuff (mostly free too...)

This page:
http://www.associatepublisher.com/e/f/fe/female_muscle_growth.htm

has a nice collection of links, Yahoo Groups etc.

Can't wait to see your take on FMG.

BustArtist said...

Working, working, working!

@GeoffK: thanks for the suggestions. However, in looking those up, I found some great reference material by two artists on DevArt. One is a traditional pencil and ink guy, and the other is a Poser guy. The Poser stuff is good because the artist shows "diagrammatic" poses from different angles of each of his models.