Tuesday, June 28, 2016

grOw/cOmic#6, page 118 completed! (Crisis averted)

Whew!  I have spent the last hour correcting what could have been a nasty set-back. In the grand scheme of things, I would have lost "only" a day (as compared to the 3 month usual turn-around for an issue).  But, it would have been a full 8-hour's day of work lost, which is heartbreaking.  I just was 15 minutes from finishing page 118, when all of a sudden, Photoshop threw a shoe (if it was a horse) and gave me a program error.  Odd boxes appeared randomly across the page, some layers inverted themselves, and others shifted colors. "Undo" didn't work. OK, odd, but not disastrous as I know I save, and save often! So, I quit the program without saving the last few minutes of work, and restarted. To my horror, all the messed-up areas of the page remained.  I think Photoshop somehow corrupted the file.  A full-day's worth of work gone!

Luckily, I work in many, many layers.  Upon closer inspection, the screw-up only affected certain layers, and luckily they weren't the "main" ones, but simply the "effects" layers. On a few panels, it DID affect the "main" layer, but only in oddly shaped rectangular areas.  These were easily repaintable. I had to redo some of the effect layers from scratch, however.  All in all, I had to spend just over an hour correcting the messed-up sections.  Whew!!!  I hate redoing work, especially work I've spent so much time on. I am glad I didn't have to redo the whole "paint stage" page (the original "ink & flats stage" is saved in another file).

So, enjoy the newest preview, as I put my heart back in my chest...

2 comments:

other290 said...

Appreciate all the hard effort - can't wait to see the new issue. Know how hard you work for the detail & story. Hope RL is going well (and hope the issue didn't harm RL work either)

Anonymous said...

Wow bad luck with the photoshop error. Just like her in the preview, I can't wait for more!