Friday, January 22, 2010

grOw/cOmic#4: Good Progress Made

I made some really good progress this week on the new grOw/cOmic series. I completed the 7th page in terms of pencil drawings. Normally, I could finish more than this is the same amount of time; however, the first 5 pages have a lot of new characters (which I am getting used to drawing), as well as a large number of characters in every panel, which makes the process a lot more time consuming. Some panels have 7 or 8 characters in a single shot. I am passed this part of the story, so the next few pages should go quicker. To show you some of the detail, as well as the amount of individuals I had to create, here is a full page preview from the beginning of issue 1.

I am also very pleased with the drawings. Drawing so many new characters is a daunting task -- getting used to each character's nuances and traits, as well as making them consistent from frame to frame. But, using more reference materials, as well as drawing in a larger scale (11"x14.5: instead of 8.5"x11") is making a huge difference!

I was also working on the 3D models for the backgrounds. I tried something new this time: Google's SketchUp, which comes in a standard version, which is free. It is quite easy to use. Plus, the fact that a lot of furniture models can be found online free, it made creating the dorm room and other backgrounds MUCH quicker to create. While not a full renderer, it is sufficient to create backgrounds that I can then lend my Photoshop skills to flesh out more.

Enjoy the preview!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"it made creating the dorm room and other backgrounds MUCH quicker to create"
Dorm room eh? A plot detail slips through :p
Heaps of characters may mean a longer time to draw, but a way more awesome finished product. Happy sketching.

uruseiranma said...

I tried using sketchup, but after 10 minutes, I found it as frustrating as trying to use a tablet 8 years ago.

I'm kind of hoping for something similar to H2Grow in it's content. To me, that is the best of the Grow series, though all the stories are like PIXAR films, in that they all are great on a certain level.

Personally, I liked the fact that in H2Grow, it wasn't just the girls that got a little bigger. EOG (Equal-Opportunity Growth) for all!

Anonymous said...

"EOG" has been in a fair it of BA's work. Wishful thinking, Busting Out, Dragon Eggs, Pleasure Unit X and H2GrOw.
I'd love to see it continued but not necessarily increased, I think he has the right focus of including Penis Growth without focussing on it or drawing too much away from the BE et al.
- Potato

Anonymous said...

Any feedback on how fast and what size the growth will be in this series?
I really like the H2GrOw pace where it only reached "Wow!" proportions in the last issue. I think it'd be cool though if you had a variety of growth speeds, one goes to huge in one issue, another is constant over a number of issues.

BustArtist said...

@uruseiranma: I've used various 3D programs throughout the years, so maybe that helped me acclimate myself to SketchUp. The movement is a little odd, but I scroll the camera around to help.

@anonymouse (Jan 29): well, I really don't want to give anything away. However, sizes will vary, some growth covering 2 issues. Each issue will tend to have a few "focused" themes.