Tuesday, December 1, 2009

grOw/stOry#12: Last illustration completed !

Update (04 Dec 2009 11:50am EST): the stOry has been proofread and finalized. The PDF file has been uploaded to my Host. Release will depend on how quickly they attach it to my store, which could be 2-10 business days, based on previous times.

Yes, all the illustrations to the latest grOw/stOry are now finished! The release of this long-awaited edition is imminent. The last few images took some time to complete, as the level of detail was quite large. In addition, the last image is a huge 2-page spread. Click the image to the right for a preview!

The fun new thing I have experimented with in this release is the use of a Photoshop filter called "Lens Blur". Originally, I thought it was just another complicated Blur feature that had little extra compared to the standard blurs. However, I was very wrong. Seeing a demonstration of it online, I realized it's power. Basically, it is a blur filter than uses a grayscale alpha channel to simulate depth of field. Some 3D rendering programs render an alpha channel which is based on the depth of items in the image — white is closest, black is farthest. Using this info, the filter blurs the image in an amount based on the grayscale value. For example, white would get no blur, gray would get some blur, and black would get full blur. You can take an in-focus image and simulate a depth of field similar to photography focusing techniques. Since I use layers heavily both in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, it was easy for me to create my own alpha channels that were "depth based". Click the image for a full visual demonstration.

So what's next? Tonight, I will be doing a final proofread, setting up the PDF, and then sending to my Host to upload to my store. Now, just recently, my Host changed hands to a new owner, so I do not know how fast they will work at doing this. However, they have assured us clients that the change-over will be seemless, even hiring many of the employees of the older company. We will see. For the last few releases, this process took anywhere from 2 days to a week and a half.

I will make an announcement here when the stOry is released. I will post any unusual delays as an addendum to this post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fluffing awesome. I hope the host put it up asap. The layered focus stuff was also really interesting. I look forward to the release.
- Potato

uruseiranma said...

In the words of Johnny Carson:

"I did not know that."

I may have to try that out if I can ever find the inspiration and drive to finish off BBB. I've been stuck in a funk for the last 4 months, unable to bring myself to finish the webcomic.

Anonymous said...

Looks like the new owners have their act together, congrats on the release (:

no1 in particular.

BustArtist said...

no1: geez, you're fast! :D

I just finished setting up the store when you ordered. You are the first to order the issue... including even before *I* was able to order it (I always do a full purchase test.) :D

Enjoy!

other290 said...

Store's up and working -- glad to see their keeing up with your hard work!