Monday, January 18, 2010

Updates?

As mentioned in my Jan 2, 2010 entry, a number of simultaneous projects in my "real life" job came crashing down on me at the end of 2009 and into 2010. As I predicted, this work would seriously delay the start of grOw/cOmic #4 until mid- to end of January.

However, during the last few weeks, I had a couple of instances of down time when I was just waiting for the client's response. During this time, I managed to pencil the first 3 pages. I am also trying something new this time, and so far, I am pleased with the results. I used to draw the cOmic pages on 9"x12" paper. Taking a cue from my success when drawing the last grOw/stOry (#12), I am now drawing each page about 40% larger, on 14" x 17" sheets. This allows me to draw each frame larger, allowing for more detail, and an easier time at accuracy and consistency. When drawing faces, the slightest shift of a line can make all the difference. By drawing larger, a minor shift will be even less noticeable. So far, this new technique has worked very well, and my hand/wrist have been a lot less strained when it comes to small details.

The crushing workload I mentioned earlier is coming to a close. I hope to start on pencil drawing more pages in earnest soon -- even starting this week! In the meanwhile, enjoy the preview pencil sketch!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks really good BA, hope the RL work isn't too taxing and you get onto the project.
Also, good move to the larger paper, are they're any drawbacks though?
- Potato

Anonymous said...

Looks real promising. Keep it up.

BustArtist said...

Potato: no drawbacks really. I just had to get used to swinging the larger paper around on my drawing table. Other than that, it has been a huge help to my drawing faces consistently, without the usual discomfort from holding my pencil so tightly to get small details correct. Check out the latest post for an sample! (Jan 22)